Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer


Arthur Hodge, age 86, of 645 Hopper Road, Shady Valley, TN passed away Tuesday, July 14, 2015 in Sycamore Shoals Hospital. He was born September 25, 1928 to the late John Harrison Hodge and Lois Ann Roark Hodge. Arthur was a member of Shady Valley Baptist Church. He enjoyed fishing, gardening, growing potatoes and he especially loved eating watermelon. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a daughter, Mary Lee Pugh; three brothers: Napoleon, Grant and Willie Hodge; three sisters: Emaline Byrd, Lizza Hodge and Annalee Icenhour.
Survivors include his loving and devoted wife, Rosalee Hodge of the home; one daughter, Barbara Neyman of North East MD; two sons: John Harrison Hodge and Mike Arthur Hodge, both of Lenoir, NC; four stepsons: Raymond Eller of Shady Valley, TN, Wayne Eller of Woobridge, VA, Reford Eller of Bristol, TN and Malcolm Eller of Jacksonville, FL; one sister, Beth Horne of Gameville, NC; eighteen grandchildren; eighteen great grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services were conducted at 2:00 p.m. Saturday, July 18, 2015 from the Shady Valley Baptist Church with Rev. Richard Stout officiating. The family received friends from 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. prior to the service. Graveside service and interment followed in Shady Valley Memorial Gardens. Active pallbearers were selected from family and friends. Honorary pallbearers were Dr. Don Tarr, John Grindstaff, Ed Hodge and Tom Neyman.
At other times, friends may call at the residence, 645 Hopper Road, Shady Valley, TN. The family would like to extend a special thank you to the nurses and staff of Mountain City Care Center.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Arthur’s memory to Shady Valley Fire Department, c/o Kenneth McQueen, 134 McQueen Road, Shady Valley, TN 37688 or Johnson County Rescue Squad, 203 Vandilla Street, Mountain City, TN 37683.
Professional services for the Arthur Hodge family are in the care of Hux-Lipford Funeral Home, Mountain City, TN.
Terry Mark Johnson, better known as Mark Johnson, passed away Tuesday, July 14, 2015. He was born January 28, 1963 to Bruce Ray Johnson and Olive Dunn Johnson. He was preceded in death by his father, Bruce Ray Johnson in 1982; his sister, Lisa Johnson in 1970; a nephew, Tony Johnson in 2013; and brother-in-law, Joseph Potter.
Our Johnson family is a very close family. We have always stood together and loved one another. When one endures hardship we all feel that pain.
Survivors include his mother, Olive Johnson; brothers: Johnny Johnson and wife Peggy of Mountain City, Jerry Johnson and wife Joan of Trade, and Wayne Johnson of Mountain City; sisters: Jo Ann Eller and husband Bobby of Mountain City, Judy Wallace and husband Hugh of Laurel Bloomery, Reba Potter and husband Junior of Butler and Eva Gregg and husband Michael of Mountain City; eleven nephews; two nieces; and seventeen grand nieces and nephews; as well as special friends, Eugene Johnson and best friend Tammy Curd; and step sons: Robbie and Austin, and soul mate, Jerrie Lee Howard.
Our son and brother Mark will be so missed by all of us. He was gentle and kind and most of the time he was happy. He was the free spirit of the family and liked to have fun. He loved life and he loved living life with a smile. Mark grew up on the farm and was very good with the animals. He enjoyed nature and the outdoors and liked horses especially. As a small child he enjoyed riding horses, even bare back and continued to do so for a while even after his accident. He enjoyed coon hunting and training dogs. Mark was fun to be around. He would cut up and was sure to make us smile. He went through three traumas that would have broken most any other man. These traumas took their toll on him one by one.
He was a trim carpenter and a good one. He took pride in his work and would say, “Watch out if a trim carpenter carries a caulk gun.” Then there was a traumatic accident that took his leg, and his knee was already messed up so he lived in pain and could not work any longer. Mark was determined not to give up. He picked himself up and learned to live and walk and even tried riding Black Jack, his horse, but his back and hip were harmed from the accident and that was short lived. The other two traumas one by one tried to take him down. They did have their effects on him but he still had a smile and free spirit. Mark is no longer suffering. He has a new body. We know he is in a better place. A place of peace, joy, and love, and we are thankful and blessed because of it. However, we are still here and our lives will not be the same without him to talk to.
He was an honorable son. He always spoke well of Daddy and Mommy and he adored Mommy. He worried about her and would often call to let us know if she was not feeling well. He wanted to help her. He would always want to know that she was okay. He was the baby of the family and we all petted him and we all loved him. He brought joy to all of us. He endured a lot of pain and hardship that most of us could not have borne as well as he did.
Mark grew up in a home that taught Jesus was the way to eternal life and he always knew this as well. He always believed in Jesus. After his accident he prayed and asked God to forgive him of all he had done. Michael and Eva were present when he accepted Jesus as his salvation. Was he perfect after he was saved? No, he wasn’t but neither is anyone else. We all fail and come short of the Glory of God. He didn’t go to church but he would help people if they were in need. He never looked down on anyone regardless of their status in this life. Mark and Eva would often discuss Jesus and he said not too many days ago that he knew Jesus was coming back soon. Mark desired to be a help to people. If someone needed a place to stay Mark would let them stay with him. If someone was hungry he fed them or he took them to Mommy’s to eat. Daddy and Mommy’s door has always been open to hospitality and Mark was just like them. Mark helped people that many would turn their head away from. If they were down trodden they only needed to find him. He would listen to them and help them anyway he could.
Mark was easy to confide in and many times he listened as many of us poured out our heart and he would bring us back to where we needed to be. He was a straight shooter and didn’t like to candy coat the facts but he would do it with a smile. I think those that truly knew Mark liked him. He was friendly and outgoing and at the family gatherings we sought out Mark for a welcoming smile and often made us laugh. Mark is a beloved son, brother, brother-in-law, step dad, uncle, nephew, cousin, friend, and soul mate.
Our dear son and brother has passed over before us. We didn’t want it like this. We wanted him to live. However, we know that when we call upon our Savior for our salvation, we don’t really die. We pass through the valley of the shadow of death but death has no hold on us. There will be a reuniting on resurrection day and our circle must not be broken. God have mercy on all of us and let all of us be in His Kingdom.
May God Bbless each and every one that has come out in love to help us mourn the passing of our beloved Mark. Your kindness and love means everything.
Funeral services for Mark were Friday, July 17, 2015 from the Charles B. Hux Memorial Chapel with Rev. Billy Morefield and Rev. Greg Poe officiating. Visitation was from 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. prior to the service. Graveside and interment were at 5:00 p.m. Saturday, July 18, 2015 from the Johnson Cemetery in Mountain City. Pallbearers were Michael Eller, Brian Eller, Scott Johnson, Johnny Johnson, Jared Lunceford, Adam Johnson, Chris Johnson, Jeremy Johnson, Brad Johnson, Eric Potter, Aaron Gregg, and cousin Eugene Johnson.
Professional services for the Mark Johnson family are in the care of Hux-Lipford Funeral Home, Mountain City, TN.