Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Grant will cover 80 percent of bridge cost

The repair of a deteriorating bridge across Goose Creek, near Village Apartments was one of the big topics at the January Town of Mountain City Council meeting. Members of the board of aldermen approved a grant application to receive possible funds from the Tennessee Department of Transportation. If made available, the grant would cover 80 percent of the cost leaving the city a 20 percent local match. Such grants are only made available where a city street meets a state highway, requiring the city to name the road that the bridge gives access to. Mayor Lawrence Keeble announced that discussion had been held concerning the naming of the street and Village Square Lane had been proposed. Meeting with approval from the rest of the city council, a motion to accept the street name was made by Alderman Kenny Icenhour and approved across the board. Although the street runs all the way from the highway to the apartments, city maintenance will end just past the bridge.
At the same time that Village Square Lane was approved, another street proposal was accepted as well. Following changes to many addresses in the city by Johnson County 911 in an effort to meet state requirements, Louis Spearman requested that his driveway off of Cedar Street be put on the city map under its own name. Although the change would place his new address on Ivy Hill Private Drive, Spearman’s street would not be maintained by the city. With no expense involved, the board approved unanimously.

FOR COMPLETE STORY, PICK UP A COPY OF THIS WEEK'S TOMAHAWK OR CALL 423.727.6121 TO SUBSCRIBE.