Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Commissioners to request two state troopers remain in Johnson County

Thursday, January 21 was the monthly meeting of the Johnson County Commission.
The meeting began with a unanimous approval of budget amendments followed by the approval of two notaries, Patricia Burchette and Donna K. Hammons. A $10,000 county official bond for deputy sheriff Freddy Forrester was approved.
This month was the time for quarterly reports from the various county departments. Most had submitted their reports with little or no discussion, but a few issues did arise. The planning commission discussed a bond reduction for the ridge’s subdivision and also held a special meeting concerning subdivisions at the Red Tail Mountain golf course.
The new hangar at the county airport is nearly completed, but a problem has risen concerning the hangar door. As cold weather freezes the ground, the door will not close properly.
Timothy Stanley has been hired to replace Dean Winters at the county waste management facility in Doe Valley. Stanley was one of 49 applicants and has a qualified military background as well as experience in managing a business and roadwork.
The Cold Springs Utility District made a request for the approval of a new commissioner. Charles Icenhour, who recently passed away, formerly held the position. Bill H. Icenhour was nominated as the new commissioner and was voted in unanimously.
Former economic developer Tom Anderson presented more information to the council concerning the creation of a part time position to help continue economic development in Johnson County. The job would be approximately 15 hours weekly with an annual salary of around $10,000. The county has agreed to pay 75% of this cost while the city pays the remaining 25%. A job description is underway and the courthouse would most likely house the office of the contracted employee.
Tamara McNaughton presented the commission with details about the Johnson County community food assessment and planning project. Funded by the USDA, the project will evaluate all the ways that people living in poverty in the county receive food. The assessment will cover food security and will take an inventory of all of the various organizations and programs that help people receive food including food drives at the high school, WIC, food stamps, meals at the community center and senior center, meals on wheels, as well as many church organizations. Essentially the study is to determine the needs of the people of Johnson County.
The project will consist of six study groups, one to focus on producers and five for consumers. USDA funding for the project will hopefully go to furthering things like the local farmers market or even a mobile farmers market to sell locally grown produce. Several meetings are planned to ask people in the community to help in the study by giving information on where they get their meals, what programs they use the most, and how the situation could be made better. The USDA grant can be given as $125,000 for one year or $300,000 for three years.
For complete details please pick up your copy of this week’s The Tomahawk, available at local newsstands today!